Signs of WDI Damage
- Small holes in wood.
- "Shelter Tubes” leading from the underground nest to the wood or siding of the home.
- Saw dust like material under wood framing material.
- Discarded wings.
- Framing members that sound hollow or have tunnels in them.
- 1/4 to ½ inch size holes in siding or fascia boards.
- Soil in contact with wooden structure.
- Firewood stacked directly against the structure.
- Wood building material that is exposed meaning not painted or stained.
- Wood rot or excessive moisture
- Vegetation that is in contact with the siding.
- Footing too low or soil line to high.
Maintenance and Prevention
- Keep shrubs and trees trimmed away from the house.
- Stack firewood away from the home.
- Regrade the soil to allow separation between the house and the soil.
- Paint or stain exposed wood.
- Periodically walk around the outside of the property looking for mud tubes, holes in the fascia boards, or any other unusual signs.